As in most active sports there are risks involved and by signing the waiver on the membership form you have accepted those risks. Both to make the courts safe and the games enjoyable it is important that members follow the guidelines below.
- If you have not met the person(s) who you are playing with, introduce yourself before you start the game.
- When a game has ended, ensure that your ball has not been left to roll across the floor creating a hazard for other court players.
- When entering or exiting a court, try to stay clear of the adjacent courts when play is ongoing. Clear the court quickly and save post game discussion for the bench.
- Announcing the score is a rule. The server must announce the score in a loud voice before the serve motion begins. If you do not know the score, ask your partner.
- Never chase your ball unto another court, shout “ball” to let players know to immediately stop play. The players in the other courts will retrieve the ball and return it to you. Raise your hand so the other players know where to direct the retrieved ball.
- If you see an errant ball come onto your court, shout ”ball” to stop play, retrieve the ball and direct it back to the player who has raised his/her hand.
- Never “back-peddle” (run backwards) when attempting to return an overhead lob shot. It is safer to pivot turn and run.
- When playing with new or inexperienced players avoid using an overhead “smash” to return a ball. Remember that placement over power prevails – simply place the ball were your opponents are not…
- When the game is finished, meet your opponents at the net and tap paddles as a demonstration of good sportsmanship. After all, it’s only a game.
- Clean court shoes must be worn in the gymnasium. Avoid wearing running shoes or footwear that has a wide, flared heel – they have proven to be a tripping hazard.
- Protective eyewear is recommended but not mandatory.
Note: Compliance with the above safety rules will ensure that our Pickleball Association of Ontario member insurance affiliation remains in effect.